Protect Our Children
Child Protection Training
As part of Columbia's Child Protection Plan, each volunteer and staff member is required to attend a one-time, hour-long child protection training session. These sessions are held every other month on the second Sunday in Room 229 at 8:30 am. Childcare is available upon request.
2017 Training Dates:
If you plan on attending a training, or if you need more Information, please contact Sam Maxwell
Child Protection Background Application
If you are currently a volunteer or staff member with Columbia and need to renew your background check process, or if you are interested in joining Columbia's volunteer team, please fill out the online background application.
(Click on the application for Children & Student Ministry Volunteer located on the bottom left of the page under "Current Ministry Opportunities".
If you are a staff member, click on the application for Columbia's Staff and then follow the previous directions.
If you are not a Columbia Baptist staff member, click on the application for the position of interest in the bottom right column, and then click on "Apply for Position." )
What you will need to complete the application:
- Driver’s License Information
- Social Security Number
- Residential History (last three residences)
- Churches attended and staff reference for last 10 years
- Employment History for last 10 years
- Vehicle Operator’s License Information (only if you will be responsible to transport children or youth)
- Two (2) Professional References
- Two (2) Personal References
* Note, there is no "save" function on the application. Once you begin it, you must complete it or start over upon returning later. We also suggest that you print out a copy for your reference before submitting your application.
What to expect:
- Once the online application is complete, you will be contacted by the appropriate staff or lay leader.
- New volunteers and staff will complete an interview and reference check.
- Once the above is complete, the church requests the background check.
- Following a successful background check and approval from the department leader, you will be contacted for training and start date.
* Please note: Columbia uses a third-party to conduct background checks. You may read a summary of your rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Questions? Contact Sam Maxwell or call 703-534-5740 x263.