May 16, 22
Join Pastor Greg Loewer and World Vision representatives for a time of fellowship and exploring Savane Plate. Meet those who live there and see what God is doing through Columbia's partnership with World Vision. Contact: Gregory Lower
Spend Yourself® Haiti (Partner: World Vision)
· Partnership Date: November 15, 2009
· Location: Savane Plate, Central Plateau
· Population: 1800, including 600 children.
o Phase I (2010-2011): Goats, chickens, oxen, plows, and home drinking water filtration systems. Construction of a 30-acre lake, for irrigation and fish farming, stocked with 5,000 fish. Cost: $250,000 (funded and completed).
o Phase II (2012-2013): Construction of a farm tool depot. Additional drinking water purification systems and construction of 50 latrines. Training in hygiene and latrine care. Cost: $300,000 (funded and completed).
o Child Sponsorships: $35/month/child. Presently, 145 children sponsored. Need: Sponsors for 75 more children.
o Phase III Proposal from World Vision is expected in the coming weeks. Likely projects: 50 more latrines, 3 more hand pump drinking water wells, irrigation extension with additional pump, sugar cane production expansion, grain grinding mill, 100 more home drinking water filtration systems. Anticipated Cost: $250,000
About Spend Yourself® Haiti
|Columbia is partnering with World Vision International to address hunger in Savane Plate, Haiti, located in the Central Plateau. In 2010-2011, Phase I (costing $250,000) has provided the people of Savane Plate with:|
- training for 50 church and community leaders, empowering them to drive the development of their communities;
- an 8 million gallon lake stocked with 5,000 tilapia, and providing a source of protein and dietary diversity, enabling the irrigation of at least 35 acres of land that were previously unsuitable for farming;
- 10 oxen and 5 plows, allowing approximately 50 additional acres to be tilled during the planting season;
- filtration systems for 200 families (1,000 people), increasing access to potable water and decreasing the occurrence of nutrient-depleting illnesses; and
- 150 goats, 300 hens, and 200 guinea fowl, providing a source of income on food for families.
The objectives of Phase II:
- enhanced spiritual development and economic opportunities through strengthened church and community groups;
- surplus crops and livestock through improved agricultural production and storage techniques;
- elevated health and livelihoods through church and community-driven education campaigns on clean water and proper sanitation and hygiene practices; and
- sponsorship of 215 children in the area.
For more information about Spend Yourself® Haiti, contact Courtney Benton, Spend Yourself® Haiti lay leader, or
Join us in prayer for the Haitian people as you realize they are living hungry.
- GIVE FINANCIALLY
Donate now by going to our Online Giving page. Sign up for an account and designate Spend Yourself® World Hunger Relief for your contribution.
- PARTICIPATE IN A MISSION TRIP Learn about our recent May 2013 Mission trip here.
- SPONSOR A CHILD
In partnership with World Vision, Columbia has sponsored 120+ kids and counting. Would you join us in making a difference in the life of one of these children, too? For more information and packet availability, contact Missions Office, x262 or x224.