Dual Language Half-Day Program
A Few More Spaces Available ... Will it be yours?
Columbia's Dual Language History : In Fall 2013, Columbia's Child Development Center launched a half day afternoon Dual Language program (Spanish and English). With the commencement of the 2014-15 school year we embark on our first year of all afternoon half day classes being Dual Language with an excellent bi-lingual staff.
Why Dual Language, Why Preschool?
· Dr. Amy Brereton explains that young children hold a unique ability to acquire language skills and build first-rate verbal processing skills that have been proven to play a critical role in their cognitive development. Research substantiates the prime time for children to learn a language is before they start school.
· Second language learning can also help deepen children’s knowledge of their first language. Many English words share Latin roots with Spanish. Learning the meaning of a Spanish word enhances children’s capacity to utilize English more fully. Perhaps most importantly, learning multiple languages gives children the tools to serve, work and play not only in a global world, but also in the multicultural area we live in (Metro Washington).
· Columbia's afternoon Dual language classes are quite wonderful and unique; offering an experience for your child which is neither, rote nor contrived, rather a beautiful melding of Spanish and English in a most natural way.
What About Afternoon Naps ?
Great question and one we’re not afraid to answer! We have seen over and over again children having successes in our afternoon program. From our two year olds to our 5 year olds; we are seeing happy, well-adjusted children. Parents have reported preference to the afternoons because they are not so “rushed in the mornings” and appreciate the often lower child to teacher ratios.
· “I was always worried about napping, but both of my kids managed fine.”
· “My son did an afternoon program and it worked well for us. We didn’t have to rush in the mornings and it was nice that stores and other business were open so I could run errands while he was at school. I ended up really liking it.”
· "I think the afternoon kids got more outdoors time in the winter just because it was warmer when they were there. We also weren't affected by snow delays like the morning kids who only had an hour of school on those days.”
What Parents are Saying … "As a parent I cannot say enough good things about Columbia Baptist Preschool. My children LOVE coming to school, and I know it is because my children know that their teachers love them. Columbia Baptist provides a warm, kind, and gentle environment for children to learn and grow. God loves his children, and the teachers and staff at Columbia Baptist demonstrate His love on a daily basis. I could not be happier!" ~Afternoon Dual Language Parent of a 2 and 4 year old
For more information about steps towards bi-literacy (Spanish & English) learning in
early childhood please contact us directly at: 703.534.5739 X290.
2014-2015 Dual Language Offerings
September - May
- 18 to 24 Month Old Playgroup ~ Little Steps towards bi-literacy (Spanish & English)
- Monday Morning 10:00-11:30 am
- $70 per month (Parent or caregiver attends)
- Two Year Old Class - 1:00-4:00 pm
- Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday - $345 per month
- Must be 30 months by Dec. 31st, 2014 and working towards or fully potty trained
- Three Year Old Class - 1:00-4:00 pm
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday - $315 per month
- 3 years old by Sept 30 and likely potty trained
- Four Year Old Class - M-Th/F, 1:00-4:00 pm
- 4 Days - $420 per month
- 5 Days - $525 per month
- 4 years old by Sept. 30 and fully potty trained