Spend Yourself® India
About Spend Yourself® India
Starting Date: June 14, 2009
Mission Partner: India Baptist Convention (Dr. BVR Rao, General Secretary)
Location: Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, India
Population: Approximately 1,000,000
Projects: Four Children's Development Centers, with 250 children and 40 expecting/nursing mothers. Ramavarrappadu, Pindralavari, Gunadala, and Raja Rajeswari Pet.
The Centers, each located in one a slum, operate every evening that school is in session Monday through Friday. Parents enroll their children (both girls and boys) and agree that they will keep their kids in school until at least age 14. Daily Activities include help with their school work, creative individual and group activities such as Bible stories, games, and songs; and a nutritious evening meal (with a multi-vitamin).
Children at the Ramavarrappadu Child Development Center
In 2014, a missions team visited a third slum, in the Gunadala community, where Dr. Rao proposed the stared of a children's development center for 50 girls. This slum is comprised of people from a beggar tribe, in which girls are especially at risk of being forced into prostitution and trafficking. Columbia agreed to contribute $20,000 for the purchase and renovation of a center facility, and in June 2014 the Gunadala Children's Development Center was opened.
Pindralavari Child Development Center
In June 2016, a 4th center, located in Raja Rajeswari Pet was opened. It is located in one of the largest slums of the city. Its Dedication Ceremony was held on June 11, 2016, and was attended by scores of community residents as well as by city officials, one of which gave the congratulatory speech. 50 children are now enrolled.
"Spend Yourself® is making a difference in the lives of scores of children and their families", as observed by a Columbia Mission Team member who made the trip to Vijayawada. The commitment of all of Columbia's congregations is to help alleviate hunger and feed souls for Christ, something we gladly at the centers in India.
Kristin Clifton, Columbia's 1st Venturer
- Pray for the people of India who are gripped by the desperate nature of hunger and poverty.
- Pray for the Spend Yourself® leadership team.
- Pray for our church as we follow God’s lead into India.
- Pray for the women in the Mothers Program at Pearly Gates. Pray that nothing would hinder them from attending the program and receiving the support they need for themselves and their infants.
- GIVE FINANCIALLY
- The basic cost formula for the meals is $1/day/child. Tutor cost is about $3,000/year, and a Mothers Program costs about $4,500/year. Total cost for June 1, 2016 - May 31, 2017: $94,000.
- Donate now by going to our Online Giving page. Sign up for an account and designate Spend Yourself® World Hunger Relief for your contribution.