Spend Yourself® India
About Spend Yourself® India
Starting Date: June 14, 2009
Mission Partner: India Baptist Convention (Dr. BVR Rao, General Secretary)
Location: Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, India
Population: Approximately 1,000,000
Projects: Four Children's Development Centers, with 250 children and 40 expecting/nursing mothers. Ramavarrappadu, Pindralavari, Gunadala, and the 4th center top open in June 2016.
The Centers, each located in one a slum, and operates every evening that school is in session Monday through Friday. Parents enroll their children (both girls and boys) and agree that they will keep their kids in school until at least age 14. Daily Activities include help with their school work, creative individual and group activities such as Bible stories, games, and songs; and a nutritious evening meal (with a multi-vitamin).
Children at the Ramavarrappadu Child Development Center
Each year in February/March, Columbia sends a mission team to visit the centers. In 2014, the team visited a third slum, in the Gunadala community, where Dr. Rao proposed the stared of a children's development center for 50 girls. This slum is comprised of people from a beggar tribe, in which girls are especially at risk of being forced into prostitution and trafficking. Columbia agreed to contribute $20,000 for the purchase and renovation of a center facility, and in June 2014 the Gunadala Children's Development Center was opened.
A fourth center is scheduled to open in June of 2016.
Pindralavari Child Development Center
"Spend Yourself® is making a difference in the lives of scores of children and their families", as observed by a Columbia Mission Team member who made the trip to Vijayawada. The commitment of all of Columbia's congregations is to help alleviate hunger and feed souls for Christ, something we gladly at the centers in India.
Kristin Clifton, Columbia's 1st Venturer
- Pray for the people of India who are gripped by the desperate nature of hunger and poverty.
- Pray for the Spend Yourself® leadership team.
- Pray for our church as we follow God’s lead into India.
- Pray for the women in the Mothers Program at Pearly Gates. Pray that nothing would hinder them from attending the program and receiving the support they need for themselves and their infants.
- GIVE FINANCIALLY
- The total cost of the children’s programs at Pearly Gates and PCDC (including meals and tutoring) is $45,850 for fiscal year June 1, 2014-May 31, 2015. The cost of the women’s program is $4,680. The cost to run the third child development center will be $15,000 a year. For about $1/day, you can provide the financial support for one child to attend an after-school program for an entire year.
- Donate now by going to our Online Giving page. Sign up for an account and designate Spend Yourself® World Hunger Relief for your contribution.