Protect Our Children
Child Protection Training
As part of Columbia's Child Protection Plan, each volunteer and staff are required to attend a one-time, hour long child protection training session. These sessions are held every other month, on the third Sunday in Room 146. Childcare is available.
The next training session will be held on March 16th at 8:30am.
Additional training dates for 2014:
- May 18
- July 20
- September 21
- November 16
To register, please contact Michelle Kuhns
Child Protection Background Application
If you are currently a volunteer or staff member with Columbia and have not started the background process, or are interested in joining Columbia's team, please fill out the online background application. (Click on the application for Children & Student Ministry Volunteer in the bottom left column, click on the application for the position of interest in the bottom right column, and then click on "Apply for Position." If you are a staff member, click on the application for Columbia's Staff and then follow the previous directions.)
What you will need to complete the application:
- Driver’s License Information
- Social Security Number
- Residential History (last three residences)
- Churches attended and staff reference for last 10 years
- Employment History for last 10 years
- Vehicle Operator’s License Information (only if you will be responsible to transport children or youth)
- Two (2) Professional References
- Two (2) Personal References
* Note, there is no "save" function on the application. Once you begin it, you must complete it or start over upon returning later. We also suggest that you print out a copy for your reference before submitting your application.
What to expect:
- Once the online application is complete, you will be contacted by the appropriate staff or lay leader.
- New volunteers and staff will complete an interview and reference check.
- Once the above is complete, the church requests the background check.
- Following a successful background check and approval from the department leader, you will be contacted for training and start date.
* Please note: Columbia uses a third-party to conduct background checks. You may read a summary of your rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Questions? Contact Michelle Kuhns or call 703-534-5740 x263.