Mission Spotlight: Haiti
Sunday, May 31, 12:30 pm, Stephenson Hall
Join Pastor Greg Loewer and the most recent mission team as they share their experience after returning from Haiti on May 21. Get an update on all God is doing in partnership with World Vision in the village of Savane Plate. Pizza provided with advance registration. RSVP by May 28. Contact: Rachel Eckard
Spend Yourself® Haiti (Partner: World Vision)
· Partnership Date: November 15, 2009
· Location: Savane Plate, Central Plateau
· Population: 1800, including 600 children.
o Phase I (2010-2011): Goats, chickens, oxen, plows, and home drinking water filtration systems. Construction of a 30-acre lake, for irrigation and fish farming, stocked with 5,000 fish. Cost: $250,000 (funded and completed).
o Phase II (2012-2013): Construction of a farm tool depot. Additional drinking water purification systems and construction of 50 latrines. Training in hygiene and latrine care. Cost: $300,000 (funded and completed).
o Child Sponsorships: $35/month/child. Presently, 145 children sponsored. Need: Sponsors for 75 more children.
o Phase III Proposal from World Vision is expected in the coming weeks. Likely projects: 50 more latrines, 3 more hand pump drinking water wells, irrigation extension with additional pump, sugar cane production expansion, grain grinding mill, 100 more home drinking water filtration systems. Anticipated Cost: $250,000
About Spend Yourself® Haiti
|Columbia is partnering with World Vision International to address hunger in Savane Plate, Haiti, located in the Central Plateau. In 2010-2011, Phase I (costing $250,000) has provided the people of Savane Plate with:|
- training for 50 church and community leaders, empowering them to drive the development of their communities;
- an 8 million gallon lake stocked with 5,000 tilapia, and providing a source of protein and dietary diversity, enabling the irrigation of at least 35 acres of land that were previously unsuitable for farming;
- 10 oxen and 5 plows, allowing approximately 50 additional acres to be tilled during the planting season;
- filtration systems for 200 families (1,000 people), increasing access to potable water and decreasing the occurrence of nutrient-depleting illnesses; and
- 150 goats, 300 hens, and 200 guinea fowl, providing a source of income on food for families.
The objectives of Phase II:
- enhanced spiritual development and economic opportunities through strengthened church and community groups;
- surplus crops and livestock through improved agricultural production and storage techniques;
- elevated health and livelihoods through church and community-driven education campaigns on clean water and proper sanitation and hygiene practices; and
- sponsorship of 215 children in the area.
For more information about Spend Yourself® Haiti, contact Courtney Benton, Spend Yourself® Haiti lay leader, or
Join us in prayer for the Haitian people as you realize they are living hungry.
- GIVE FINANCIALLY
Donate now by going to our Online Giving page. Sign up for an account and designate Spend Yourself® World Hunger Relief for your contribution.
- PARTICIPATE IN A MISSION TRIP Learn about our recent May 2013 Mission trip here.
- SPONSOR A CHILD
In partnership with World Vision, Columbia has sponsored 120+ kids and counting. Would you join us in making a difference in the life of one of these children, too? For more information and packet availability, contact Missions Office, x262 or x288.