Bilingual Half-Day Program
Bilingual [Spanish-English] Learning
In Fall 2013, Columbia's Child Development Center launched a half day afternoon bilingual program [Spanish-English]. In Fall 2014, we began our first year of all afternoon half day classes being bilingual, dual-language, Spanish-English learning.
Dual Language learning coupled with an excellent bilingual staff makes for an exceptional setting in which children thrive and learn. Children practice and acquire Spanish language through rich play experiences both inside and outside the classroom. Our Bilingual program takes full advantage of Columbia's wonderful outdoor -- the 2nd classroom, spaces in the midst of the city of Falls Church. Most notably, children are self-motivated to expand their vocabulary, cognitive, math and social skills through our gentle Reggio Emilia approach.
Why Bilingual Learning, Why Preschool?
Dr. Amy Brereton explains that young children hold a unique ability to acquire language skills and build first-rate verbal processing skills that have been proven to play a critical role their cognitive development. Research substantiates the prime time for children to learn a language is before they start school.
· Second language learning can also help deepen children’s knowledge of their first language. Many English words share Latin roots with Spanish. Learning the meaning of a Spanish word children’s capacity to utilize English more fully. Perhaps most importantly, learning multiple languages gives children the tools to serve, work and play, not only in a global world, but also in the multicultural area we live in (Metro Washington).
· Columbia's afternoon Bilingual classes are quite wonderful and unique; offering an experience for your child which is neither, rote nor contrived, rather a beautiful melding of Spanish and English in a most natural way.
What About Afternoon Naps?
Great question and one we’re not afraid to answer! We have seen over and over again children having successes in our afternoon program. From our two year olds to our 5 year olds; we see happy, well-adjusted children. Parents have reported preference to the afternoons because they are not so “rushed in the mornings” and appreciate the often lower child to teacher ratios. And, if you think Columbia is the only one in our community offering afternoon options, we're not! Within a 1 mile radius, there are other preschools offering afternoon options to children as young as 2 years of age.
Some Positives to Think Through when Considering an Afternoon Program...
“I was always worried about napping, but both of my kids managed fine.”
“My son did an afternoon program and it worked well for us. We didn’t have to
rush in the mornings and it was nice that stores and other business were open so I could run errands while he was at school. I ended up really liking it.”
"I think the afternoon kids got more outdoors time in the winter just because it was warmer when they were there. We also weren't affected by snow delays like the morning kids.”
What Parents are Saying…
"As a parent I cannot say enough good things about Columbia Baptist Preschool. My children LOVE coming to school, and I know it is because my children know that their teachers love them. Columbia Baptist provides a warm, kind, and gentle environment for children to learn and grow. God loves his children, and the teachers and staff at Columbia Baptist demonstrate His love on a daily basis. I could not be happier!" ~Afternoon Dual Language Parent of a 2 and 4 year old
2015-2016 Bilingual Offerings
September - May
- Two Year Old Class - 1:00-4:00 pm
- Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday - $350 per month
- 2 years old by September 30, 2015 and working toward, or fully potty trained.
- Three Year Old Class - 1:00-4:00 pm
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday - $320 per month
- 3 years old by Sept 30, 2015 and likely potty trained
- Four/Five Year Old Class - M-Th or F, 1:00-4:00 pm
- 4 Days - $425 per month
- 5 Days - $530 per month
- 4 years old by Sept. 30, 2015 and fully potty trained