In the weeks before Thanksgiving Day, traditional meal items are donated by families and individuals. On the Saturday before Thanksgiving, volunteers distribute the food to low income families in our community who have previously registered at the Spend Yourself Food Pantry. Families receive an amount of food according to their family size.
Distribution Day Location: Same as the Spend Yourself® Food Pantry
Columbia @ Crossroads, 3245 Glen Carlyn Rd, Falls Church VA 22041
Date: Saturday, November 23, 2013
Time: 9:30–11:30am (Walk-ins will be accepted from 11:30am–12noon)
Family Registration at the Spend Yourself® Food Pantry begins on Saturday, October 26, 2013.
- DONATE FOOD: You may purchase the 6 items listed below, and place one of each item in a large paper bag. Bring your bags of food to the Falls Church Campus (103 W. Columbia St.) and place them in the marked bins located throughout the church. Food collection will start on October 26 and continue until November 17.
Items Needed This Year:
Cranberry sauce (14 – 16oz., canned)
Gravy (10 – 11oz., canned)
Stuffing (~6 oz., boxed)
Brownie mix (~20 oz.)
Mashed Potatoes (~14 oz., boxed)
2 Chicken Broth (14 – 16 oz., canned)
- DONATE FUNDS: You can also make a tax-deductible financial donation. Make checks payable to “Columbia” and noted “Thanksgiving Share.”
- VOLUNTEER: On Distribution Day (Saturday), you may help in various different ways, including:
- Direct Parking
- Greet People
- Show people to the Worship Center (where the food is distributed)
- Manage the Registration Tables
- Carry the Bags of Food
- Pray with People
- Clean up afterwards
You may serve from 7am to 10:30am or from 10am to 1pm, or both time slots.
There will be a short training meeting and walk through for all Saturday volunteers on
Friday evening, November 22nd at 7pm. All Saturday volunteers are encouraged to attend.